I started with offcuts of fabric and some rubber coated mesh, which my Mum had acquired for free and kindly given to me (1). The fabric wasn't completely to my taste, as Graeme put it 'Granny Like' so I decided not to put too much effort into cutting it up nicely and instead tore strips to create a 'shabby chic' effect (2). The mesh was very old and had disintegrated around the edges but as I didn't want to pay anything I decided to fold in the edges to secure it (you can see this better in picture (7))
(3). I eventually settle on threading every other hole, any more and fabric became very loose and I didn't want it all to fall out the first time you walked on it (4). Turning it over gave a really nice shaggy effect (5) so I set about continuing the pattern.
I entirely underestimated how long it would take to finish this project, at first I did believe it would take no longer than a week. Maybe if I had not used such a tight weave for the base it would have taken less time and use less resources as it got to a point when I thought I may run out of fabric. As a finished piece it looks amazing and definitely worth the time I spent on it (6). It's just a shame the colours don't match anything else in my room, but maybe when I have my own place I can find the perfect place for it .
Now complete I think I will shelve this idea for a while, I really love the idea of using towels to make a bath mat, so I may come back to it when I have my own house. It was a good learning curve and at least I know all the mistakes not to make when I try again. So if you want to make your own and need some hints and tips just let me know!!