Wednesday 16 March 2011

Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock


My most favourite TV show at the moment is The Big Bang Theory.  I'll admit it, I'm a geek and this show cracks me up so much.  One of the things I love best about the show is how geeky everything is from their clothes and apartment to their games and tech.  Geek Chic is very in and I plan to decorate my home in a similar fashion, I think between Graeme and I we already are already half way there!!  One of the best episodes in the 2nd series titled The Lizard-Spock Expansion involved Sheldon playing a game based on Rock, Paper, Scissors, but with two extra hand gestures, Lizard and Spock.  It makes the game so much more interesting especially if you play with more than two people.  The rules are as follows:


Scissors cut paper
Paper covers rock
Rock crushes lizard
Lizard poisons Spock
Spock smashes scissors
Scissors decapitates lizard
Lizard eats paper
Paper disproves Spock
Spock vaporizes rock
Rock crushes scissors


Just after this episode came out on TV (over a year ago) I desperately wanted this on a t-shirt, I found loads of different versions but the only one I really liked was from America, and at $15 for the t-shirt and twice as much for postage it really didn't seem worth it.  But I have a crafty nature and after my experiments with freezer paper I revisited my dream decided to make my very own!!

At the weekend I visited Graeme at Uni and whilst he was working on his masters project, I got down to business.  I drew the design out and started cutting, this took over two hours as the design was so complicated (I really really want a Silohette SD, but I'll talk more about that another time!!).  




I then had to very delicately iron it down as the paper was so thin in places. This looked pretty good on it's own maybe I should try and inverse of the print as well!!




I had decided to do white paint on a black t-shirt with the inside of the images grey (as these were the only two opaque paints I had) but after painting the white on I decided grey would be boring.  So we took a trip to Hobbycraft and I bought some opaque glittery purple paint, my perfect colour!!



Unfortunately by the time I had got back the paint had dried and because the paper was so thin it had lifted off of the t-shirt so I had to be extra careful painting on the purple.  After waiting an agonising 2 hours for the paint to dry (I had forgotten my hair dryer) the result was amazing!!  This is my new favourite t-shirt and is so completely awesome!!



We went out for a few drinks at Greame's student union and quite a few people commented on how awesome it was.  It made Graeme very jealous so I made him a t-shirt too.  Fortunately I was able to use the same paper pieces for his, although it did take ages to get them unwrinkled and in the correct places.  I also noticed that the black and blue ink was a lot thinner than the opaque so the edges bled a bit, although this didn't notice too much.  I have a feeling a few more of my friends will want this t-shirt too...



My next plans for the freezer paper are some cushions covers which I'm going to make with my friend Gemma to match the wallpaper in her new home, I can't wait!!


UPDATE:
I included the bloopers because they are hilarious! Rock Paper Scissors Lizard Spock starts at 6:10



3 comments:

  1. Awesome! Dad bought Andrew a tshirt with this on, but I think I like yours better. The image is clearer.

    Have you seen the outtakes for this scene? Almost as hilarious as the actual scene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't, I will have to have a look!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good there Graeme! I have the wallpaper for my new house so we will have to get crafting very soon!

    ReplyDelete